ICS Early Years Center Blog

Inter-Community School Zurich, Switzerland

Developing Language and Mathematical Skills using Stories

| 0 comments

As a class we read and enjoyed Julia Donaldson’s picture book ‘Stick Man.’ The rhyme within the text is simple and repetitive, allowing the children to join in with the ‘reading’ and predict and identify rhyming words within the story. The fact that the story begins in autumn and finishes in winter is represented by the eye-catching illustrations.  These allow the children to make connections between elements of the illustrations and the seasons of the year. It also helped to form understandings related to our year long Unit of Inquiry,  ‘How the World Works’, in which the children are exploring  how changing seasons affect the environment.

After we read the book several times, the children drew their own ‘stick man’ from their perception and understanding of the story.

The children planned to make these drawings come to life, and to collect natural materials to create their own ‘stick man’. Before heading off to the forest, there was a class discussion about the kinds of things that would be needed.

These were some of the children’s ideas:

‘We need long sticks to make the daddy, small sticks for the children and middle size sticks for the mummy’

‘We need a big stick to make a family home’.

After a successful time in the forest gathering all they needed, the children then made their own individual members of the stick family, adding detail such as eyes, hair and hats.

These explorations not only helped children to develop their language and communication skills, but also evolved into mathematical thinking, as the children counted and compared the lengths of the sticks as needed.

IMG_1483  IMG_1457  IMG_0949  IMG_1545  IMG_1560  IMG_2016

IMG_1948  IMG_1868  IMG_1930  IMG_2052  IMG_1533  IMG_2038

Author: Rajeshree Rao

My name is Rajeshree Rao. I come from India and have been teaching Early Years children at Inter Community School Zurich since 1997. I was also teaching the same age group for around 5 years in India. I love working with children and enjoy the challenges and their enthusiasm to learn and discover. In my spare time, I love to travel, cook, read and spend time with my family.