ICS Early Years Center Blog

Inter-Community School Zurich, Switzerland

Exploring our Sense of Taste

| 0 comments

P1030858

Who We Are Unit Of Inquiry:

We use our bodies to learn about the world.

As a class we read non-fictional books about our bodies. From our research we found out that we use our tongue to taste. It is covered in tiny taste buds. Different parts of our tongue taste different flavours.

At a class meeting we talked about the different types of flavours that we can taste – savoury, sweet, sour, salty and spicy. We made a visual wall to show our ideas.

P1040800

EY2 Yellow held a ‘Fresh Juice Tasting Day’ to test out our sense of taste. We had a number of parent and babysitter helpers come to school. In small groups we made four different flavours of juice drinks – sweet, savoury, sour and spicy.

In the Sour Drink Group the children made a lemon juice drink. They tested it and then added some honey to make it a little sweeter.

P1030804

Sour Drink: 

I don’t like it. Sumedha

It’s yucky. Maxi

It tastes real sour. Maya

Honey lemon is sour, we liked it because it was a little sour. Tommaso

P1030826

The Spicy Drink group used a juicing machine to mix oranges, apple, pineapple and ginger together. P1030813 P1030811

P1030844

P1030862

Spicy Drink:

It’s spicy. It’s delicious. Tommaso

I like it. Sumedha 

It’s spicy. Marc-Philippe

P1030894The Savoury Drink Group used vegetables and herbs to make their drink in a juicer machine. They added celery, capsicum, cucumber, tomato, lemon and parsley.

P1030796

P1030817

Savoury Drink:

It tastes like yucky. Sumedha

Not yummy (some of the juices), the more (most) delicious was the milk with bananas. Rosario

The thing (juice machine) that the other Maxi made, I use it to sometimes make carrot juice. Maya 

P1030881

The Sweet Drink Group made banana milkshakes using a hand beater to mix the bananas, sugar and milk together.

P1030806

P1030832

Sweet Drink:

Yummy! Dayou and Tommy

Delicious! Rosario

I like the banana. Dayou

I like it, it’s delicious. Sumedha

I like it. I like the banana milkshakes. The banana one is my favourite cause it tastes like banana. Marc-Philippe

It’s a good. David

We cut some bananas put on to a plate. We cut them up. Maxi G

Then we did “juzjuzjuz”Rosario

Before we did milk in we put some sugar in. Maxi G

Then we mixed the banana milkshake. Maxi V B

We drinked drinked drinked all the juices. Milk banana milkshake was the best. The banana milkshake was the best because it was the sweetest, and everybody loves sugar and bananas. That’s why it was the best. We like doing it! Noa

P1030909

Author: Rebecca Smith

Early Years Teacher. International Schools. Reggio Inspired. IB PYP.  Apple Distinguished Educator 2010. Level 3 Forest School Leader 2016. Learner. Traveler. Reader. Australian. Tea lover.